Sunday, June 5, 2016

If Carlsberg did aid stations ?

clip_image001They still would be nowhere near the standard of the ones found at the Clare Burren Marathon Challenge. As seen everything Apples, Oranges Bananas, Mars Twix Crunchies and water. Not an Energy drink or Gel in sight or required for that matter. One of these tables every 3-4 miles then there is no need for a fuelling strategy or a chance that the tail runners may not get any. Every box ticked and plenty to go around. Some of the major city marathons in this country where put to shame not by a running club but I might add a walking club. My only disappointment was there were no crisps at the tables and on saying that at the end a Diamond of a volunteer appeared with the most delicious bag of Salt and Vinegar Tayto’s I have ever consumed.

There was running (& walking) involved as well

I had planned this to run the off road sections at 8 min pace my planned pace for Portumna, but as the weather has picked up I wore the HR to try and not overcook it. This meant 50K pace/effort for the following 1-3, 8-11, 16-19 and just shy of 4 miles to the finish. At the start I was full sure that by taking this approach I would cruise in under 4 hours very easily. This would make up for the disappointment of missing out the last time I ran here. First 3 miles I went off a little too quick as I was dragged along by the 10K runners. While the pace didn’t seem bad the HR was indicating otherwise so I backed off slightly to come back to a more prescribed pace. Hit the 3 mile mark just under 24 Minutes. First climb was ahead and I had a visit to to the porto potty at mile 4. Took it easy on the climbs and meet with a local ultra runner so ran along with him until Mile 8. Downhill road so opened up the legs for 22:55 3 mile split. From 11-12 there is a section that is walk unless of course you are a mountain gaot. There was one David from Kerry passed me again on this section but once the surface levellled out I quickly passed him again. Third section had a run along the dunes of Fanore beach and was also into a stiff breeze. This really was tough HR was too high and rarely got under or near 8 min pace. Hit 19 mile marker at 2:57. At this point my average pace was 9:20 odd so I had resigned myself to a finish beginning with a 4. I was not going to hit any pace over the next 3 miles due to the rough terrain. clip_image002Last thing I needed was a slip and do myself an injury. Terrible visions of me rocking up to the start line of Portumna on crutches filled my thoughts over this section. Again the goat from Kerry passed by bouncing along with easy. Finally we hit the run down the field to the road. Watch reads 3:30:15 with 4 miles to go, I decided to just go as hard as I could manage and see if I could make the time. Two years ago the exact same scenario and I got to 25 before throwing in the towel. This year was different, I was able to push hard and hold the pace all the way to 26. Passed that marker at 3:57:30 so I knew I had it nailed as that’s the time on my 4 hour pace band any time I pace. Still drove home to finish in 3:58:49. Then I got a shout out from my parkrun cheerleaders. They had done the half and gave me a good shout coming home, thanks girls. Delighted with the sub 4 and the manner in which I got it. I passed the goat from Kerry somewhere shortly after we hit the road. As they say horses for courses.

Afterwards

Went for the bowl of soup and some yellow wine. Meet Antonio, Aidan and Yvonne from the club so it was good to see some familiar faces. Also sat down beside Mark from Tramore who had just done his 49th Marathon as well today. Strange old world this marathon running is. All that’s left is now stay injury free and get to the start line in Portumna fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment